Psychoanalysis film, Pre production planning and evaluation

Pre production thinking:

My psychoanalysis is based around Freud's original theories and more specifically around the Id, Ego and Superego. The film will feature the idea of multiple personalities which demonstrate the Id, Ego and Superego within one person or more specifically within their conscience. The idea is to create a personification for the thoughts that occur in someone's conscience when making a decision. My plan is to have a real person be followed around by two clones and have these clones have different opinions on things. The general premise of the story is that the Id clone tries to make the Ego clone ignore rules and do what he wants, almost like the devil on the shoulder idea, in the same context the Superego clone would remind the Ego of these rules and try to steer him away from causing issues or doing things that he may regret. 

Me, Myself and I


Post production evaluation:

My film tries to show a persons conscience as Freud's Id, Ego and Superego by cloning one person in the shot multiple times and using multiple personalities. The concept for the film is that the Ego or actual person is tempted by one of their personalities to try and break the system. I had multiple ideas before coming up with this one and some that i believe would have been better than this one to show the Freud ideas however they had to be changed because of lockdown and Covid19. I tried to use a variety of camera angles in my film however i wasn't very careful with focus so some of the shots came out quite blurry or you can hear the camera adjusting. I also had issues with the camera creating a lot of sound noise i tried to clean this up but not all of it worked. I think the cloning process using masks worked quite well and allowed me to create some quite interesting shots however i wasn't well prepared when using this technique all the time which lead to it being quite hit or miss with the dialogue between the characters. I think i also could have done a better job of showing the personalities of the Id and Superego although i do think the story is understandable. My film went on longer than expected i believe this is due to the fact that there was a lot of back and forth dialogue needed to tell the story, I could have used mise en scene to show how characters were feeling more had I had more time and space. One of my main issues was with space as i didn't have anyone to  help me i couldn't reasonably take my tripod and camera out to film footage outside so i had to come up with an idea that worked from within my house. One of the main issues with my film is the length, i believe my idea required to much information to be understood or to express who the characters were. 

Conclusion:

I believe i did a better job of showing different camera angles and positions as well as making a better use of lighting than before. I feel my idea comes off as a bit confusing and messy in places and this is due to improper timing of the film. I think my feel does manage to capture the idea of Id, Ego and Superego as shown in the characters however if i were to use mise en scene to greater effect it would help the film be clearer to a viewer. If i had more time i would have extended the begining sequence to more clearly demonstrate the characters personalities.

Comments

Popular Posts